this is me.
My name is Kim & I am a former eating disorder addict. I didn't know it at the time, but it was more than just my dislike of food....it was the fact I had tummy problems I was not aware of....
fast forward decades, after surgeries & now I find myself HERE.
I am asked all-the-time why I feel fitness is SO important...and after I give them the 'healthier is better', 'you live longer', etc. they continue to stand there....as if that's not enough.
well, here it is.....from deep inside my heart.....the reasons why I believe fitness is important.
I guess you are wondering why I'm telling you my height give me a sec...I'm getting there.
in this world, I find that some people believe short=weak. Or that for some reason because I'm 'short' I'm not up to snuff...I sure can't change their minds, but I can prove to myself that even I can develop a good body to go with my good mind.
there's something to be said for being able to pick up heavy things. I love it! I love going into the gym & doing weights I've never done before...I love how it makes me feel stronger & how I am healthier because of it yeah...but you mentioned health already... sure did. That doesn't make it any the less true.
in 2005, my Mother passed away with ALS. I felt so out of control & hurt because of it that I packed on the pounds and was miserable. I know WHY I did it...I was trying to cushion myself from the hurt, and from being hurt like that again....
this summer has, by far, been the hardest most difficult heart wrenching summer I've had in some time. I won't go into intimate details here, but it has sucked. Major like....
after I had emergency surgery, I took stock of my life, and where I was headed......and I decided one thing.I was never going to be where I was at the first part of May of this year, or where I was in 2005, and who was going to help me get there?? I mean, I needed a hero......I can hear you thinking that.... it is up to me. I can't control what anyone else does with life, and certainly can't control what God does/doesn't do...but I can control my body........and this time I wasn't going to starve myself. I was going to look on the outside the way I feel inside. I'm 40 and I'm fabulous. And I want the body to go with it.
I like being sore. she's crazy...you are thinking that, aren't ya? ahhh maybe, but that's a different blog for another day.......but when I'm sore from working out I know that change is coming. I am like a sculptor and my body is forming into what I want it to be. FOR ME.
I'm a wife. I'm a Mother. I (like most women) get lost in the shuffle. I try to please those I love, and I have long given up trips to the beauty shop, mani/pedis, etc. and rightfully and happily so! But this is one thing I don't have to give up. I can go to the gym.....I can have my 'me' time......I can go to that gym & for 2 hours I am Kim again. Not his wife, or their Mom.......me. Someone I had forgotten how to be in these 20 years.
the rush....what??? There are very few times in my life that I'm filled with such glee that my face gets a 'rush' to it, and my heart rate increases........and mine does that when I work out. Try it. Seriously.
The extras that come from trying to be fit are benefitting the old you. Muscles in motion tend to stay that way. And look at it this way, when you get where you are going fitness wise, you won't be the frail little ol' lady that someone tries to take their purse...you will instead be the woman they wonder WHAT you have in your purse.
girl power. HOOO YA. GIRL POWER. I don't have to explain that to you...you get it.
now go get ja some. GYM BABY!

No comments:
Post a Comment